Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Days 4 & 5: Darn it, I Have No Time On Work Days [D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop]

Thought I could handle that challenge, but now I realize I won't be able to do this every day (as is obvious from the lack of posting yesterday). Anyway, I'll follow through as best as I can. Both questions, today and yesterday, aren't that fruitful in my case, so not all is lost ...

First powerful Monster I slew?
&
Highest level character I ever ran?

The first powerful D&D monster I helped slaying was that succubus I talked about in the post for day 1. Never fought a dragon. At least no fight I'd count. A dragon, in my opinion, is an adversary of real quality, worth a small campaign in most cases. It's not a monster you encounter down the road and kill en passant.

But it reminds me of a something one of my players said to another as they saw a dragon fly by in a distance:
"Look! It's an xp-mother ship ..."

It's, I believe, one of the most common misconceptions in D&D is to believe that big monsters are just more meat to beat on. Truth is that the time needed to even confront a critter like a dragon should be a big investment ... But that can't be news. Well, that succubus had been a major villain and the build up to get there had been the adventure. The question how the big monsters really should influence their surroundings is to be answered at another day.

Now the sad truth about the highest character level I've ever played on. It was AD&D and a level 12 bard (Edal Worfang) made at a convention. So much fun, really, but other than that I'm not playing enough to get there. Ever. It's hard enough to get a campaign going long enough to see some of my players there.

A buddy of mine had announced some time ago that he'd be interested to try himself as a DM. I hope he'll do so some day.

And there's always Flailsnails. But I'm not sure about that yet.


This is a Blog Hop - So get hopping!

Stelios V. Perdios is hosting.
Tomorrow's question will be about my first dead character. Still have to think about this one ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent developments made it necessary to moderate posts again. Sorry about that, folks.